You can apply to the Scholarship Program if you are committed to primary care and accepted to or enrolled in an accredited U.S. school in one of the following primary care disciplines:
- Physicians (MD or DO)
- Nurse Practitioners (post graduate degree with clinical practice focus)
- Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Physician Assistants
The scholarship pays tuition, fees, other educational costs, and provides a living stipend in return for a commitment to work at least 2 years at an NHSC-approved site in a medically underserved community.
For each year of financial support (up to four years), the student agrees to serve one year (minimum two years) at an NHSC-approved site in a high-need urban, rural, or frontier community across the nation.
Service begins upon graduation (and completion of primary care residency training for doctors and dentists). The NHSC helps scholars find a practice site that's right for them. When in service, scholars earn a market-rate salary, paid by the employing facility.
Scholarship payments other than the living stipend are federal income tax-free.
The Scholarship Program accepts applications once each year. To learn more about how NHSC reviews applications and determines who receives a scholarship, please watch the short video below. Applicants chosen to receive the scholarship are notified no later than September 30.
How It Works
You Must Be:
Upon graduation and completion of training, you agree to:
- Provide care at an NHSC-approved site in a medically underserved area.
- One year of service for each year of support (minimum of two years of service, maximum of four years of support and service)
An NHSC Scholarship includes:
- Tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly living stipend (taxable)
- Assistance finding a job at a high-need, NHSC-approved site
- Access to educational, training, and networking opportunities
- Becoming part of a community of providers with a shared desire to serve patients with limited access to health care
- Medicine (MD or DO)
- Dentistry (DDS or DMD)
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Physician assistant
Жила! - не задумываясь выпалил Беккер. - Жила. - Да. Кошачья жила. Из нее делают струны для ракеток.