The universities from Canada are preferred by more than 130,000 international students yearly. Offering a high-quality teaching system, Canada is also rich in possibilities and cultures. Research, scientific publications and international collaborations are three of the aspects that Canada and its universities focus on.
Compare 2,306 Masters in Canada
Want to go straight to reading about Canadian student visa requirements for your country? Check out a few examples below:Now, let's see what are the steps to go through to get the Canadian student visa:
1. Decide on a university to apply to and get your acceptance letter
If you’re still not sure where you want to study in Canada, you will have to decide before you can start your student visa application process. After being accepted at a Canadian university, you’ll get an acceptance letter required for visa application.
Find the right universities depending on the discipline you want to study:
Consider some of the best universities in Canada:
2. Check if you need a student visa for Canada
You don’t need a study visa (or study permit) for Canada if you are in one of the following situations:
- You are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, who is accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
- You enrol in a programme that lasts less than six months
- You are a member of foreign armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act
- You are a citizen of another country, but you have an Indian status registered in Canada
However, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada.
3. Apply for the Canadian student visa
As soon as you got the acceptance letter from the university, it is time to proceed to the next step: applying for a student visa, which is locally known as a student permit.
The first steps to obtain your student visa:
- Apply online for your Canadian student visa, on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website before you arrive in Canada;
- In countries with limited internet access it's also possible to apply for visa on paper;
- Provide an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (a university recognized by the Canadian government);
- Deliver proof of sufficient financial resources to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses);
- Have no criminal record;
- Submit clinical records that state you are in good health and complete medical examinations if required.
Useful tip: check out if your country is on the list of biometrics requests for the study permit.
4. Prepare all required documents for the student visa in Canada
- Completed application form;
- The original letter of acceptance from the university;
- A valid passport/travel document, which also allows you to return to your home country. If you live in the U.S.A., this is not necessary;
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with specifications of name and date of birth on the back;
- Proof of financial support during your studies that represent: tuition fee + 833 CAD/month (for all provinces, except Quebec) or tuition fee + 917 CAD/month (Quebec);
- A letter of explanation;
- If you intend to study in Quebec, you will also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, English and French translations for your document, a statement from the translator and a certified copy of the original documents;
- Proof that you paid the study permit fee (150 CAD).
5. Language requirements for my study in Canada
Unless you come from an English-speaking country, Canadian universities will require you to submit proof of English language proficiency. Accepted language tests are:
- Cambridge English: Advanced
Proof of your language skills is not included on the list of required documents for a Canadian student visa. But it is a good idea to have some proof of English ability, just in case.
6. Biometrics appointment and interview
Depending on the requirements for your country, you might have to show up at a Visa Application Centre in your country to have your biometrics taken. The biometric fee is 85 CAD. This fee is in addition to the regular visa fee. Some countries are exempt from the biometrics visit, so it's likely they won't need to visit an application centre at all.
Check out 2,306 Masters in Canada
Depending on your individual situation you might also be called for an interview. Local visa application centres will charge a small fee for using their services.
Check out details about the Canadian visa, depending on your nationality:
The Canadian Embassy
Attn.: Visa officer
Subject: APPLYING FOR STUDY PERMIT (Canada)
My admission application has been approved and now I wish to apply for a study permit. The ORIGINAL letter of acceptance from the institute is attached.
Please see the last page for the list of enclosures and documents, I have attached with the application.
Introduction: I am a professional Web and Graphic designer, holding an extensive work experience of more than 9 years in the graphics industry. I'm currently working as a “Graphics Lead” (Senior Web & Graphics Designer) for a Denmark based Software Company in Islamabad. (Original Letter from the employer is attached.) I also work as a freelance designer and currently have more than 25 clients and companies in my freelance profile list.
Purpose: According to the recent market trends and needs i have decided to enhance my educational qualification and make a career change in my life and strongly feel that this is the right time for me to update my professional skills from 2D graphics into 3D Motion graphics (Computer Animation) to pursue with a bright and secure future carrier. In the current market, there's a huge demand of 3D resources in Pakistan and many of the multinational IT/software companies are targeting 3D - computer animation projects and employees. (Some 3D - computer animation job advertisement printouts are also attached as reference, downloaded from the major job posting websites of Pakistan.) But due to lack of 3D resources (3D professionals), Companies are unable to find an experienced resource. So I'm sure once I'm back to my country with a 3D computer animation degree in hand, I will be valued by the employers in Pakistan.
Purpose of choosing Sheridan: I have chosen a course and now have been granted admission in (course name here) at university or college name here. One of the best reputable institute specially in the Animation industry offering, up to date animation courses with State-of-the-art learning environments featuring the latest technology all over the world, such as the Research facility, highly recognised and competent faculty hired from the biggest companies in the industry such as Nintendo, Sega, PSP, Disney etc..., as well as best hardware machines (Computers and rendering machines) in the labs for animation, also the college alumni, Comprehensive student support services, from Sheridan's friendly Student Advisement Centers to the excellent resources of the Career Centre plus exhibitions for students to show their profile/work developed during their studies and above all, a Practical hands-on learning that prepares you to ‘jump right in' to the workforce.
Other than these, Unique Leading-Edge Centre's of Excellence, These centre's include: Sheridan Elder Research Centre, Sheridan Centre for Animation and Emerging Technologies, Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Design Technologies, Centre for Healthy Communities.
All these features/facilities/services impressed me and convinced me to join Sheridan. I hope i can avail all the services to my best and cash the study time in good manners.
A first payment fee of CAD $ 12,150.00 to the institute has been paid as mentioned in the invoice, through my personal Dollar ($) Account. Copy of dollar ($) bank draft (sent to the institute) is attached as a proof of evidence.
My health coverage is done through www.gaurd.me under student guard on behalf of the institute.
My accommodation is also arranged, at 2-minutes walking distance from the institute, at:
Address of arranged
Accommodation goes here....
Landlord/Owner Name: his her name here
Landlord e-mail: xxxxxx @ yahoo.com
I have fulfilled all the requirements and have paid CAD$ 600 as required by the landlord to book the room and rest of the amount for living will be paid once landed and is shown available in my bank account (Bank statement). A letter from the landlord is also attached, confirming the booking of my accommodation from August 2010 and onwards (for 1 year). The letter contains her cell contact no. which can be used for further details and verification.
Funds available: According to my earnings and saving i have sufficient funds in my Allied bank (Salary) account (F-6 super market branch) (i.e.: PKR 2,160,000/-over $CAD 26,900 approximately) for my expenses in Canada. (First payment fee of CAD$12,150 and CAD$600 already paid) My recent bank statement (Both, Salary and Dollar $ account) are attached showing the available funds for the last 6 months. I have sold my car (Honda Civic, Model 2007 worth CAD$16,250 equivalents to 1.3 million PKR) to a relative on the terms and conditions of paying in 2 instalments before 1st of July 2010. Original Car sale agreement is also attached.
For further details please refer to my bank statement with highlighted information. Which now makes a total of 2,160,000PKR over $CAD 26,900.
In order to pay my fee in dollars, i.e.: $CAD 12,150 (requirement of the institute) I had to open a new separate personal DOLLAR $ account as my salary account in (Allied bank is a Pakistani rupee (PKR) account and is not eligible to pay in dollar, according to the bank policies), so i had to open a new dollar account and deposit the payable fee amount into it from my salary account, and pay the fee from that account (dollar account). The transaction for paying the fee from my dollar account to the institute can be seen on available bank statement sheet, attached. (Both accounts are my personal accounts)
I assure you that on completion of my course, I will return back, and join the growing 3D industry of Pakistan as I also have strong ties in Pakistan (My aged Mother (picture attached), Brother (picture attached), Wife with 2 kids (Son and Daughter, Not accompanying me, Also immediate family Pictures, Birth certificates and Marriage certificate (Nikkah Nama) are attached as proof of evidence).
I really need your support and request you to encourage me and wish me good luck for my future and efforts and issue me a post dated Study permit from August 1, 2010 onwards, as I want to travel to Canada by end of August 2010.
I believe that the information I have provided is adequate and in detail, however if you have any query, please feel free to contact me on 0092 xxxxxxxxxx or email: xxxxxxxxxx
Thank you so much in advance for your kind consideration.
Your full name here
Rent for accommodation for full 1 year: CAD$ 6,000
Paid to book the room: CAD$ 600
Payable rent: CAD$ 5,400 (This is available in my bank account shown in the statement.)
Total tuition fee for 1 year full course: CAD$ 23,575
First payment fee Paid: CAD$ 12,150
Payable fee: CAD$ 11,300 (This is available in my bank account shown in the statement.)
Total Balance available in my Accounts (Both, Salary and Dollar A/c) = PKR 2,160,000 equivalent to CAD$ 26,900 approximately for my Tuition and living expenses. Last 6 months Statement(s) are attached.
My Health coverage already covered through www.guard.me
NOTE: A list of enclosures and documents is attached with the application on the next sheet.
List of enclosures and documents attached with the application:
1. Cover letter (this document, Explanation and details)
2. Checklist form (IMM 5483)
3. Application form filled and signed
4. Supplementary Information form filled and signed
5. Confirmed offer of acceptance from institute in Canada. (ORIGINAL and 1 copy)
6. Proof of fee paid to the institute. (Receipt from college PLUS the bank draft copy of fee sent to college)
7. Letter from the landlord confirming the accommodation and rent paid.
8. Proof of sufficient funds available in personal account's (Both, Salary and Dollar account), in terms of last 6 months bank statement.
9. Letter from the bank manager, stating from how long I'm maintaining the account.
10. All previous ORIGINAL educational documents. AND Photocopies each.
11. Proof of your English language ability (IELTS results) (ORIGINAL)
12. Letter from my employer, stating my (Name, salary, date of joining and designation)
13. Passport (ORIGINAL and 1 copy)
14. Marriage certificate (Original Plus Photocopy Plus Certified Translation)
15. Immediate Family (Wife, Son and Daughter) Birth certificates - (Original Plus Photocopy Plus Certified Translation)
16. Mother, Brother and Immediate family pictures (Wife, Son and Daughter) Plus my wedding picture with wife also attached.
17. Copy of my National Identity Card. AND a Certified Translation in English)
18. Application processing fee paid in bank (Green receipt from standard chartered)
19. Original Car sale agreement is also attached
20. Six-6 recent photos, mentioning the Full name and Date of birth on one photo.
21. 3D computer animation Job advertisement printouts, downloaded from major job posting websites of Pakistan.
22. Police clearance certificate